7 Tips for Bathroom Remodeling
Bathroom remodeling is a great way to breathe some new life into your Northport home. The importance and versatility of bathrooms have made them a popular remodeling project among homeowners. Whether you’re customizing a luxurious master bathroom suite or just doing something different with a small guest bathroom, remodeling is a great way to express your sense of decorative style. Here are a few general pointers to keep in mind for your next bathroom remodeling project in Northport.
- Consider replacing the wiring in your bathroom. Many homeowners overlook this element, but bathroom outlets get their fair share of use from hair dryers, electric razors, and other appliances. During the renovation process, it’s often a good idea to have an electrician take a look at the room’s wiring and perform any necessary repairs.
- Bathroom lighting can make a big difference. Not only can tasteful lighting designs help tie the room together, but good lighting is also integral for making the most of a smaller space. Recessed lighting can provide adequate illumination without intruding into a limited space, while wall sconces can double as a decorative visual element.
- Mount accessories like towel racks at the right height. Make sure your soap holders, towel racks, toothbrush holders, and other wall-mounted fixtures are at a height that’s both comfortable and convenient.
- Consider built-in toiletry niches. If you’re tired of soaps and shampoos falling off of the bathtub ledge, you could talk to your contractor about building niches directly into the walls to hold your amenities.
- Pick a countertop material that’s right for you. Bathroom countertops come in a wide variety of materials, which differ in their color ranges, durability, and other considerations. Natural stone is a perennial favorite with Northport homeowners for its natural beauty, but it can be challenging to maintain. Marble is especially soft and malleable, but granite, another natural stone, is much more durable. Synthetic stone substances like engineered quartz can also offer a durable and customizable alternative for homeowners who love the look of natural stone but not the considerable upkeep.
- Choose a great flooring tile. Tiles with a textured surface are often used in bathroom remodeling projects to create a safe, slip-resistant floor. Natural stone tiles are porous, and require cleaning and maintenance; however, porcelain or glazed tiles can look quite similar and be designed to be slip-resistant—while still requiring minimal maintenance.
- Think twice before wallpapering your bathroom. Bathroom wallpaper might sound good in theory, but bathrooms are moist, humid areas where wallpaper becomes susceptible to peeling and damage. Painting or tiling your walls might be a better alternative, allowing you to express yourself without worrying about water damage.
Whatever your vision may be for your next Northport bathroom remodeling project, these tips can help you choose the right floors, walls, and countertops to create a space that’s uniquely your own. When you’re remodeling and redecorating a bathroom, you can feel free to let your imagination run wild as you coordinate tiles, plumbing fixtures, countertops, lighting, and more to create a cleansing, relaxing space you can enjoy.